White Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Treat yourself to this classic winter drink, with a twist.
This holiday-inspired version of hot cocoa forgoes the usual cream or whole milk yet still tastes like an indulgent treat. It’s the addition of milk powder and cornstarch that creates a velvety, frothy texture! For extra minty notes, increase the peppermint extract to 1/4 tsp (1 mL).
photo credit: james tse
- 6 oz good-quality white chocolate finely chopped
- 1 cup non-fat dry milk powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 5 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp cornstartch
- Place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk powder and cornstarch. Whisk in 1 cup (250 mL) of the milk until smooth; whisk in remaining milk. Heat over medium heat, whisking often, until slightly thickened and steaming hot, about 5 minutes (do not boil).
- Pour milk mixture over chocolate; let stand for 30 seconds. Whisk until melted and smooth. Add vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Pour into 4 mugs; sprinkle with shaved dark chocolate and serve with peppermint sticks or candy canes on the side for stirring.
Per Serving: 279 calories, 12 g protein, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 35 g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 17 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium