Waffles with Glazed Nectarines
Waffles aren’t just for weekends any more! You can dig into this hot breakfast any weekday morning. Light and simple ingredients and plenty of juicy glazed nectarines make these wonderful waffles a heart-healthy way to start the day.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3 nectarines medium, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar soft, dark
- 1/2 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 waffles
- Lightly coat a large nonstick frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat. Sauté the nectarines until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar and cook until the sugar dissolves and becomes syrupy, about 2 minutes. Transfer the nectarines to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Whisk the orange juice and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth, then add 1 cup cold water. Whisk this mixture into the frying pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce boils and thickens, about 2 minutes. Return the nectarines to the frying pan and allow to heat through.
- Toast the waffles in a toaster. Serve 2 waffles per person, topped with about 6 slices glazed nectarines. Serve hot.
Per serving: 398 calories, 9 g protein, 14 g fat (6 g saturated) 67 mg cholesterol, 60 g carbohydrate, 28 g sugars, 4 g fibre, 676 mg sodium.
Nectarine skins are high in pectin, a soluble fibre that aids in controlling your blood cholesterol level and keeping your heart healthy.