Tuscan White Bean Soup
This soup is hard to stop eating after the first bowl’the earthy flavours inevitably leave me wanting more. Pair it with your favourite sandwich for a complete meal.
Best Health Magazine, January/February 2009
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 4 slices turkey bacon finely sliced width-wise
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 540ml can white kidney beans
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, sauté extra-virgin olive oil, carrots, celery, onion, bacon, garlic, rosemary and thyme on medium-low heat until the bacon is cooked and the vegetables have softened.
- Add to this mixture the white kidney beans and water. Increase heat and simmer for about five minutes. Remove from heat and discard the rosemary and thyme stems.
- To help thicken it, remove 1 cup (250 ml) of soup and blend with a hand mixer or in a blender. Then add this back to the pot, and stir in Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.