Turkey and Pomegranate Salad
One of the joys of a roast turkey or chicken is the tender meat least over that is perfect for rustling up a super-quick meal. Add some basic fresh ingredients and perhaps a few special extras, and dinner is on the table.
photo credit: shutterstock
- 1 red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 100 g watercress trimmed
- 250 g mixed salad leaves
- seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts chopped
- 75 g blue cheese (such as stilton), finely crumbled
- 200 g cooked turkey or chicken diced
- 100 g cooked ham diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- To make the dressing, whisk the oil, balsamic vinegar and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the red onion, watercress and salad leaves to the dressing, and toss to combine. Scatter the pomegranate seeds over the salad. Sprinkle the pecans or walnuts and cheese over the top.
- Divide the salad among four bowls, add the turkey or chicken and ham, and serve.
Variation: Replace the pomegranate seeds with 200 g (7 oz) fresh blueberries or seedless red grapes.
Per serving: 465 calories, 26 g protein, 35 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 14 g carbohydrate (13 g sugars), 3 g fibre, 712 mg sodium