Sweet-Potato Savoury Scones
We kept the calorie count low in these fluffy, vibrant orange scones by not including cheese or cream. Serve with seafood chowder, or your favourite soup or stew.
Best Health Magazine, March/April 2012; Photo by Michael Alberstat
photo credit: shutterstock
Servings: scone wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, whirl to combine flours with sugar, baking powder, orange peel, salt and cayenne. Pulse in jalapeño, then pulse in butter enough to form coarse crumbs. Turn into a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sweet potato with milk and egg, then pour over flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until mixed.
- Turn dough onto counter. Lightly dust hands with some flour, and pick up and incorporate any remaining crumbs, work lightly and quickly to bring the dough together into a rough ball. It will be moist.
- Place dough on the prepared baking sheet and press to form an eight-inch circle about one inch thick. Using a knife, score dough into 16 wedges for easier cutting after baking.
- Bake on bottom rack of preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean and top is deep golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per wedge: 128 calories, 3 g protein, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 29 mg cholesterol, 51 mg sodium