Super Simple Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce
Make this slow cooker sauce ahead of time, so you have it ready to go for the week. Let it simmer in the slow cooker on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
A good tomato sauce is a pantry staple, but most store-bought versions are loaded with sugar and salt, plus so much garlic and basil that they can only be used on pasta. Not ours! This slow cooker sauce is beautifully balanced and not overwhelmingly spiced, so you can give it a new personality every night of the week with just a few added ingredients.
Plus, talk about a healthy way to start a meal. Tomatoes are low in calories, high in vitamin C and potassium and one of the best sources of the antioxidant lycopene. Lycopene has been studied extensively for its possible role in reducing the risk of prostate, lung and stomach cancers, as well as reducing bad LDL cholesterol and blood pressure.
Make this slow cooker sauce ahead of time, so you have it ready to go for the week. Let it simmer in the slow cooker on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, or whip it up on the stovetop: Simply let the sauce cook on medium-low heat for about 45 to 60 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency.
Try this slow cooker sauce with the following recipes:
Lentil & Mushroom Vegetarian Bolognese
Easy Vegetarian Shakshuka Recipe
Greek Meatloaf Muffins
Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
Chicken, Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Curry
Tip: Sautéing the vegetables first helps sweeten and mellow the flavour of the sauce, but if you’re short on time, you can skip this step and just throw your raw vegetables right into the slow cooker.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and grated
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- In a small saucepan, add oil, onion, carrot and celery. Sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 6 or 7 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer vegetables to a slow cooker.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, oregano, brown sugar and salt and pepper. Cook mixture on high heat for 3 hours or on low heat for a minimum of 6 hours. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as desired. Store in the refrigerator in airtight containers for about 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
PER SERVING: 49 calories, 1 g protein, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 7 g carbs, 1 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 30 mg sodium