Summer fruity cottage cheese salad
This salad tastes as great as it looks. With its colourful mixture of fruit and salad greens, it is packed with vitamins and fibre and transforms plain cottage cheese into an exciting salad. Serve with rice cakes for a low-fat accompaniment.
- 1 orange zest finely grated and juiced to yield
- 1/3 cup juice
- 2 1/4 cups cottage cheese
- 2 red apples
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries
- 16 dried apricots finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 150 g mixed salad greens
- 2 kiwis peeled and sliced
- 2 nectarines pitted and sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds toasted, (optional)
- Mix the orange zest into the cottage cheese. Core and dice the apples and mix with the blueberries, apricots and celery in a large bowl.
- Divide the salad greens onto four serving plates. Top each mound of leaves with equal portions of kiwi and nectarines and sprinkle each one with 1 tablespoon orange juice.
- Share out the cottage cheese and fruit mixture onto the plates and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if you like.
Cook's tip: If some of the fresh fruits are not in season, use fruits canned in juice, such as pineapple chunks, peach slices or apricots to make up a good variety.
Variation: The variations to this are only limited by your imagination, cherries, grapes, mangoes, orange segments, peaches, raspberries, strawberries and dried fruits, such as figs, raisins and sultanas, are all suitable.
Each serving: 22 g protein, 7.5 g fat of which 4.5 g saturates, 34.5 g carbohydrate, 7 g fibre, 309 Calories