Summer berry muffin variations:
* Instead of a mixture of white and whole-wheat flours, use all whole-wheat flour.
* For a hint of spice, add 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice, ground ginger or cinnamon with the flour.
* Replace the berries with other fresh fruit, such as chopped apples, apricots, peaches or strawberries or dried fruit, such as sultanas, raisins, chopped apricots, dates or figs.
* To make pear and cinnamon oatmeal muffins, mix 3/4 cup whole-wheat self-raising flour, 1/4 cup (50 mL) oat bran, 1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking powder, a pinch of salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon in a bowl. Fold in 1 peeled and chopped pear. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons melted light margarine, 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar, 2 eggs and 1/2 cup (125 mL) plus 2 tbsp (25 mL) orange juice. Pour this over the flour mixture and fold the ingredients together. Spoon into 9 paper muffin cups and bake as in the main recipe.
* For mini summer berry muffins, divide the mixture among 30 mini paper muffin cups and bake for 10 minutes.
Each serving (one muffin) provides: calories 98, calories from fat 18, fat 2 g, saturated fat 0 g, cholesterol 24 mg, carbohydrate 18 g, fibre 1 g, sugars 8 g, protein 3 g.
Choices per serving: Carbohydrate 1, Fat 1/2