Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie
This refreshing strawberry yogurt smoothie takes only a few minutes to prepare, and is ideal as a nourishing start to the day.
- 4 cups ripe strawberries
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp sugar or to taste
- Garnish (optional)
- 4 small strawberries with leaves
- 4 thin round slices unpeeled orange
- Rinse and drain the strawberries and place them in a food processor or blender. Add the yogurt, orange juiceand sugar. Process on the highest speed until a well-blended purée forms, about 15 seconds, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container once or twice. Taste the mixture and sweeten with a little more sugar, if you wish.
- For a very smooth beverage, strain the mixture, using a wooden spoon to push the drink through. Discard the strawberry seeds.
- Pour into 4 tall glasses and serve immediately. If you wish to decorate the drinks, slit the strawberries and the orange slices halfway through the centres. Attach one berry and one orange slice to the rim of each glass.
* Banana-berry smoothie: Add 1 small banana, cut into quarters (Step 1). Because bananas tend to thicken drinks, increase the orange juice to 3/4 cup (175 mL). Taste the smoothie before adding the sugar (you may not need it).
* Apricot-berry smoothie: For the fruits, use 2 cups (500 mL) peeled apricot slices and only 2 cups (500 mL) ripe strawberries.
Each serving provides: calories 108, calories from fat 18, fat 2 g, saturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 5 mg, carbohydrate 21 g, fibre 4 g, sugars 17 g, protein 4 g.
Choices per serving: Carbohydrate 1, Fat 1/2