Strawberry-Cucumber Salad with Almonds and Mint in Strawberry Vinaigrette
Since the vinaigrette is made with strawberry preserves, you get an extra blast of strawberry sweetness in every bite. English cucumbers dish up a juicy crunch while toasted almonds provide just enough nuttiness to balance the flavours in the dish.
Recipe courtesy Almond Board of California
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp seedless strawberry preserves or strawberry jam
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 cups English (seedless) cucumber diced, (about 1 whole English cucumber, chopped)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries sliced, (or frozen, thawed strawberries, halved)
- 2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lettuce leaves for serving, such as Bibb, Romaine, or red leaf lettuce
- Place almonds in a small, dry skillet and set pan over medium heat. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until almonds are golden brown, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the preserves, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard. Add the cucumber, strawberries, mint and toasted almonds and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve inside lettuce leaves or over chopped lettuce.
Per serving for 4 servings: 145 calories, 8.5 g total fat (0.9 g saturated fat, 5.5 g monounsaturated fat, 1.6 g polyunsaturated fat), 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, 3.5 g fibre, 63 mg calcium, 49 mg magnesium, 67 mg sodium, 359 mg potassium, 3.2 mg vitamin E