Stir-Fried Tofu and Vegetables in Curried Almond Butter Sauce
Creamy almond butter and a kick of curry make this tofu dish a flavourful one
Best Health Magazine, September 2012; Photo by Ryan Szulc
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 500-g package firm tofu rinsed and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 stalks broccoli (florets and stalks), chopped
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup kale chopped
- In a bowl, whisk together almond butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and curry powder. Set aside.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat olive oil over high heat; stir-fry tofu for about 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer tofu to sauce; stir to coat. Set aside.
- Add garlic, rosemary and red onion to pan; stir-fry for five minutes or until onion is browned. Stir in red pepper, carrot, broccoli, soy sauce and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) water; cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about five minutes.
- Add kale and 1/4 cup (60 mL) water. Stir. After two minutes, add tofu with sauce. Stir. Cook two minutes more or until kale is wilted and tofu is heated through.
Per serving: 378 calories, 16 g protein, 27 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 g carbohydrates, 5 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 725 mg sodium