This Steel-Cut Oatmeal Tastes Just Like Apple Pie
This dish is basically dessert for breakfast—except it’s filled with good-for-you ingredients.
Photo Credit: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||10min. + standing||5min. + releasing|
|8servings||10min. + standing|
|5min. + releasing|
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large apple chopped
- sliced apples (optional topping)
- toasted pecans (optional topping)
- In a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker, combine the first 7 ingredients. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 5 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
- Stir in chopped apple. Let stand 10 minutes before serving (oatmeal will thicken upon standing). If desired, top servings with sliced apples, pecans and additional syrup.
Nutrition facts per 1-1/4 cups: 171 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fibre), 4g protein.