Healthy Diet Recipe Packed With Flavour: Soupa de Lima (Lime Soup)
This delicious soup has such a citrus kick, it’s the perfect lunch-time meal. Just make it quickly when you’re at home or bring it to work in a Thermos.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup yellow peppers diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken or turkey cooked and shredded
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 4 lime slices
- In a large soup pot, add oil and sauté onion, yellow pepper, tomato, garlic, oregano and bay leaf until onion softens, approximately five minutes.
- Add chicken broth and shredded meat; simmer for five minutes. Remove bay leaf, add lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide equally among four bowls, and garnish each with cilantro and a lime slice. Serve with tortilla chips or crusty bread, if desired.
- Tip: Add the lime juice just before serving; any earlier and it makes the soup bitter.
Serves four as a side dish, or two as a meal with salad and bread.
Per serving as a side dish: 278 calories, 16 g protein, 16 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 27 mg cholesterol, 361 mg sodium
Originally Published in Best Health Canada