This Salad Will Replace Your Favourite Slaw Recipe
The wild rice has a nutty flavour that’s perfect with tangy sauerkraut.
Photo Credit: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||20min. + chilling||40min. + cooling|
|8servings||20min. + chilling|
|40min. + cooling|
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cans (14 ounces) sauerkraut rinsed and well drained
- 1 medium apple peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup celery chopped
- 3/4 cup carrot shredded (about 1 large carrot)
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley minced
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon minced (or 1 tsp dried tarragon)
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped, toasted
- Cook wild rice according to package directions. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine sauerkraut, apple, celery, carrot, onion and cooled rice. In a small bowl, whisk the first five dressing ingredients until sugar is dissolved; stir in herbs. Add to sauerkraut mixture; toss to combine.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours to allow flavours to blend. Stir in walnuts just before serving.
- Tip: To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition facts per 3/4 cup: 290 calories, 17g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 747mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 5g fibre), 5g protein.