Bring variety to breakfast by skipping the oats and cooking up some healthy, protein-rich quinoa instead
Registered dietitian Matthew G. Kadey blogs at wellfedman.com
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch coarse salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk or unsweetened soy milk
- 1 small apple diced
- 1/2 cup blueberries or sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans chopped
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Add quinoa, water, cinnamon and salt to a small pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Add milk and simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in apple, berries and nuts. Let sit, covered for 10 minutes before serving. The porridge will thicken during this time.
- Drizzle with maple syrup before serving if desired.