Elevate Pizza Night: Persimmon Tahini Flatbread Recipe
This recipe uses the tomato-shaped Fuyu persimmon, which is known for its crisp, sweet, crunchy texture, similar to that of a fresh apple.
We’ve balanced this flatbread’s sweetness with a savoury tahini spread to give it a bit of Middle Eastern flair. We also love its sunset colour against the vibrant pomegranate arils, green arugula and pistachios. And since we’re using store-bought naan, this recipe is easy enough for a weeknight but unique enough to bust out for an unexpected guest.
For another healthy pizza option, try Abbey Sharp’s Apple, Fig and Caramelized Cauliflower Flatbread Pizza recipe.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 small whole wheat naan (or flatbread)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup feta cheese crumbled and divided
- pinch each Salt and pepper
- 2 Fuyu permissions sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 4 cups arugula
- 3 tbsp pistachios shelled and minced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place naan on a prepared baking sheet and brush with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the olive oil.
- In a mini food processor, purée ricotta, tahini, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, ¼ cup (50 mL) of the feta and salt and pepper.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the naan and top with sliced persimmons. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Top with pomegranate arils, arugula, remaining feta and pistachios; slice into triangles.
Nutrients per serving: 468 calories, 18 g protein, 27 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 43 g carbohydrates (7 g fibre), 44 mg cholesterol, 575 mg sodium.
Tip: Keep in mind that Fuyu persimmons don’t need to be particularly soft to yield a succulent, sweet bite, so don’t wait until they’re mushy to dive in – you’ll want them to hold their shape after being baked with bubbly ricotta cheese.