Peach Caesar Salad
Sweet, juicy peaches, buttery Boston Bibb lettuce and savoury bacon, anchovy and Parmesan meld together to create a summer take on the traditional Caesar salad. Add grilled chicken or tofu for a well-rounded dinner.
Recipe courtesy Ontario Tender Fruit Producers
- 2 cups crusty bread 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp Fresh cracked pepper
- 4 strips bacon
- 4 cups romaine lettuce hearts chopped
- 4 cups Boston lettuce chopped
- 2 peaches pitted and cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
- Arrange bread on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In large skillet, cook bacon over medium high heat until crispy. Drain on paper-towel lined plate and cool. Crumble.
- In a large bowl, toss romaine, Boston lettuce and peaches. Set aside.
- In blender, combine lemon juice, mayonnaise, Parmesan, anchovy fillets and garlic. Blend on high until smooth.
- Toss croutons and bacon with lettuce mixture. Drizzle with dressing; toss and serve immediately.
Tip: For a complete meal, add 2 cups (500 ml) of sliced, grilled chicken or 4 pieces grilled salmon.
Per serving: about 310 calories, 13g protein, 8g total fat (2g saturated fat), 48g carbohydrates, 4g fibre, 10mg cholesterol, 830mg sodium. %RDI: iron 20%, calcium 15%, vitamin A 50%, vitamin C 35%