The Perfect Make-Ahead Breakfast For Busy Mornings
A healthy option that fills you up.
Photo Credit: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk or vanilla almond milk
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 2 medium peaches sliced (or 3 cups frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed)
- Optional toppings
- sliced almonds
- brown sugar
- additional peaches
- In a well-greased 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 6 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until oats are tender, 7-8 hours. Stir in peaches just before serving.
Pressure cooker option
- Decrease water to 3 cups. Add to a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker coated with cooking spray. Stir in oats, soy milk, brown sugar, salt and vanilla. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure cook on high for 4 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. Stir in peaches just before serving. Oatmeal will thicken upon standing. If desired, top with optional toppings.
Nutrition facts per 3/4 cup: 163 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fibre), 5g protein.
Diabetic exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Health tip: Steel-cut oats are 100 percent whole grain. They are slowly absorbed, giving you energy that lasts.