Extraordinary Nut-free Carrot Cupcakes
These melt-in-your-mouth carrot cupcakes are a crowd favourite.
photo credit: shutterstock
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups carrots grated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup pineapple drained, crushed
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 lb light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, pulse eggs, brown sugar, oil, orange juice and vanilla until blended. Add carrots, flours, pineapple, baking soda and cinnamon; process until well combined.
- Spoon into regular-sized muffin tins that have been greased, or lined with cupcake papers. Bake for 25 minutes or until tops spring back when touched.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat cream cheese with sugar until fluffy. Beat in orange juice. Spread icing on cupcakes.
Per cupcake: 227 calories, 5 g protein, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 50 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium