Multigrain Seeded Bread
Along with adding flavour to this multigrain bread, seeds are a good source or potassium, vitamin E, protein and iron.
The Ultimate Soup Cookbook, Reader’s Digest
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 g active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 egg white
- low-fat (1%) milk
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast and salt. In a small bowl, combine sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and oats.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup water and molasses over low heat until very warm (120°F–130°F). Gradually stir into flour mixture, then stir in egg white until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 minutes, then shape into a ball. Lightly coat a large bowl with cooking spray. Add dough and turn to coat. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Punch down dough and work in seed mixture, reserving 2 tablespoons. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Roll up tightly from the shortest end, then pinch ends together and tuck underneath. Place seam side down in pan.
- Cover with towel and let dough rise in a warm place 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush top of loaf with milk and sprinkle with reserved seeds. Bake 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. Transfer multigrain seeded bread to a wire rack to cool.