“Mama Mollie” Tomato Sauce
This healthy tomato sauce is quick to make and can be served over pasta, chicken or meat.
Best Health Magazine, March/April 2009
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots grated
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil to taste
- fresh or dried basil to taste
- oregano to taste
- hot peppers to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 28oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp honey
- Sauté garlic, onion, carrots and red pepper (and other fresh vegetables, if desired) in olive oil. Add seasonings, and sauté for about five minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, and add honey (which reduces the tomatoes' acidity). Let simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over pasta, chicken or lean pork or beef.
Per 100-g serving: 130 calories, 1 g protein, 10 g total fat (1.5 g saturated), 9 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 72 mg sodium.