Lightened-up Chicken Stew
The broth in this recipe lightens the dish and allows the healthy vegetables to take a leading role. In fact, if you want to make it a soup instead, increase the broth. The saffron adds an interesting flavour.
Photo Credit: Maya Visnyei
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 pinches saffron
- 2 medium chicken breasts sliced
- 1 cup savoy cabbage sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- In a slow cooker or medium heavy-bottomed pot, add onion, carrot, zucchini, celery, thyme, chicken stock and saffron. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Increase heat and add chicken, cabbage and peas; cook for five minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add parsley; season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 186 calories, 27 g protein, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrates, 4 g fibre, 49 mg cholesterol, 196 mg sodium
Originally Published in Best Health Canada