Make This Hearty Lentil & Hummus Salad for a High-Fibre Dinner
Creamy chickpea hummus, flame-licked vegetables and punchy herbs help turn this into a dinner-worthy salad that you’ll actually be excited to eat.
Bonus: Research has found that a diet rich in fibre, which you’ll get from foods like lentils, chickpeas and veggies, can help you get a better night’s sleep by improving blood sugar control and good bacteria in your digestive tract.
For more of Matthew’s recipes, check out his Turkey Burger with Pumpkin Seed Pesto.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup French green or black (beluga) lentils
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced into 4 pieces
- 1 medium red onion quartered
- 2 small zucchini halved lengthwise
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup hummus
- 1/3 cup sliced mint
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup pistachios roughly chopped
- Place lentils, salt and 4 cups (1 L) water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender but not too soft, about 25 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Lightly brush vegetables with some of the oil and season lightly with remaining salt. Grill vegetables, in batches if there isn’t enough grill space, until charred in a few spots and tender, flipping once, about 10 minutes in total. Remove vegetables from grill while they finish cooking. Once cool enough to handle, chop vegetables into 1-inch pieces.
- Whisk together oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic, chili flakes and pepper.
- Spread hummus on plate and top with grilled vegetables, cooked lentils and herbs. Drizzle lemon mixture overtop and sprinkle with feta cheese and pistachios.
Per serving: 480 calories, 22 g protein, 23 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 49 g carbohydrates (9 g sugar), 22 g fibre, 11 mg cholesterol, 631 mg sodium.