Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes with Cherry Sauce
Lower-fat ricotta gives these pancakes rich flavour and extra protein without too much fat and calories. Top with cherries, which contain potassium, a nutrient that helps slash the risk of high blood pressure.
From Best Health magazine, March/April 2014
Image Credit: Shutterstock
- 1 cup light ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs separated
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon divided
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups frozen sweet cherries
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp (30 mL) water
- In a bowl, combine ricotta, egg yolks, sugar and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) cinnamon, plus baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into cheese mixture. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Stir about one fourth of egg whites into ricotta mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- Heat a skillet to medium. Add a little of the butter and melt. Pour 1/4 cup (60 mL) batter into pan for each pancake, and cook two minutes per side. Transfer cooked pancakes to 200°F oven to keep warm.
- For cherry sauce, simmer cherries, lemon juice, maple syrup, remaining cinnamon, and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water in a saucepan for 10 minutes, then mash cherries. Stir in vanilla and the cornstarch mixture; simmer two minutes, until thickened. Serve pancakes topped with sauce.
Per pancake with 1/10th of cherry sauce: 162 calories, 7 g protein, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 96 mg cholesterol, 234 mg sodium.