Grilled Chopped Veggie Salad
This dish is best served warm or at room temperature. Top with crumbled feta or goat cheese or curls of shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Best Health magazine, Summer 2015; Photo by Jodi Pudge
- 2 Belgian endives halved lengthwise
- 1 large head radicchio cut into quarters with core intact
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 medium green zucchini diagonally sliced ¾ inch (2 cm) thick
- 1 sweet red pepper quartered, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 sweet yellow pepper quartered, ribs and seeds removed
- 3 tbsp fresh basil leaves torn
- Drizzle endives and radicchio with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil; place on a greased grill over medium-high heat. Grill, covered and turning once or twice, until lightly charred, tender and slightly wilted, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer endives and radicchio to a cutting board; discarding any cores or root ends, coarsely chop into large bite-size pieces. Toss with half of the vinegar and half each of the salt and pepper; arrange on a large platter.
- Toss mushroom caps, zucchini and red and yellow peppers with remaining 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil; place on greased grill over medium-high heat. Grill, covered and turning once or twice, until lightly charred and tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to cutting board; coarsely chop vegetables into large bite-size pieces. Toss with remaining vinegar, salt and pepper; arrange on top of radicchio mixture. Sprinkle with basil.
Per serving (each of 8): 102 calories, 4 g protein, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium