Grilled Chicken Bean Burgers with Tahini Slaw
Sandwich burgers with additional veggies, such as baby arugula and sliced tomato. For cheeseburgers, top burgers with thinly sliced Swiss or Cheddar cheese 1 minute before the end of grill time.
- Tahini Slaw
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper pinch of each
- 1 cup green cabbage shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded
- ½ cup carrot shredded
- ½ cup sweet yellow pepper thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red onion very thinly sliced
- Chicken Bean Burgers
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup canned white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 tbsp whole flaxseed
- 1 tsp dried basil or dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1½ lb lean ground chicken
- 6 thin whole-wheat burger buns
- In a large bowl, whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add green and red cabbage, carrot, yellow pepper and red onion; toss to coat. Set aside while preparing burgers.
- In a large bowl, beat egg with Dijon. Add beans; use masher or fork to mash until fairly smooth with some chunks remaining. Stir in green onions, oats, flaxseed, basil, salt and pepper. Mix in chicken; shape into six ¾-inch (2 cm) thick patties.
- Place on a greased grill over medium-high heat; grill, covered and turning once, for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until no longer pink inside.
- Split buns and grill cut sides down, until golden and toasted. Sandwich burgers in buns with Tahini Slaw piled on top.
Per serving: 398 calories, 30 g protein, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 35 g carbohydrates, 7 g fibre, 134 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium
Originally Published in Best Health Canada