Goat Cheese & Veggie Tartine
If you don’t have soft goat cheese on hand, thinly sliced feta works well on these open-faced tartines (French for sandwiches). If pea shoots are not available, alfalfa or bean sprouts are great alternatives. Thin cucumber and roasted red peppers are delicious additions, too.
photo credit: maya visnyei
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese
- 4 thin slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 medium tomato thinly sliced in 8
- 1/2 avocado thinly sliced in 8
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- small handful pea shoots
- Spread equal amounts of goat cheese on bread, followed by tomato, avocado, red onion and pea shoots. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut each piece in half.
Per piece: 97 calories, 4 g protein, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 4 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium
Originally Published in Best Health Canada