Classic Garlic and Tomato Soup
Grandmothers often said garlic was good for what ails you, and we now know they were right. This tomato-garlic soup uses 10 cloves, but because garlic mellows as it cooks, it has a mild, slightly sweet flavour.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 10 garlic cloves minced
- 4 medium tomatoes cored, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 yellow onions quarted and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup low sodium tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- In a large non-stick saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter and heat oil.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté 25 minutes or until onions are very soft and golden.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, thyme, bay leaf, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer the tomato-garlic soup, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in parsley.