Chicken satay stir-fry
This Indonesian-style stir-fry combines colourful crunchy vegetables and tender chicken strips. Serve with toasted white or whole wheat pita bread.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp diluted salt-reduced or homemade chicken stock
- 1 lemon zest finely grated
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 red chili pepper deseeded and finely chopped
- 12 oz skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp five-spice powder
- 1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 6 oz button mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, coconut milk, stock and lemon zest until blended, then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Add the garlic and chili pepper and stir-fry for 30 seconds to release the flavours.
- Add the chicken and five-spice powder and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until the chicken has coloured all over. Add the red pepper, carrots and mushrooms and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the wok and stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and tender. Remove from the heat, stir in the chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Cook's tip: You can spice things up a little by leaving the seeds in the chili pepper - chili peppers contain most of their heat in the seeds and membrane.
Variation: Turkey breasts could be used in place of chicken, 2 small zucchini rather than carrots and a drained can of sliced bamboo shoots as an alternative to the button mushrooms.
Each serving: 28.5 g protein, 20.5 g fat of which 4 g saturates, 8.5 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fibre, 342 Calories