Chewy Walnut Trail Bars
Baked ahead of time, these chewy, nutrition-packed walnut trail bars are perfect for long trips, hikes or even work commutes.
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut shredded
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In large bowl, whisk together oats, brown sugar, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir in walnuts, cherries, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, coconut and sesame seeds; set aside.
- In food processor, process apricots until broken up, about 1 minute. Add butter and process until a paste forms, about 1 minute. With motor running, pour in honey until well blended. Fold into oat mixture until well combined.
- Pat evenly into a parchment-lined 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) baking pan. Bake in the center of oven until golden, about 30 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Cut into bars (2x12 rows or 8x3 rows).
Per bar, about: 250 calories, 6 g protein, 14 g total fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 10 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium
%RDI: 2% calcium, 10% iron, 8% vitamin A