Cheese-Stuffed Italian Style Meatballs
Stuffed with a soft and melting cheesy centre, these meatballs can be made with ground turkey or chicken sausage instead.
4 Ways To Eat Cheese-Stuffed Italian Style Meatballs
• Add the cheese-stuffed Italian style meatballs to toasted sliced garlic bread as a meatball sub, with or without a spoonful of tomato sauce and pickled hot peppers on top
• Serve on fettuccine with creamy alfredo sauce
• Add the meatballs to fusilli or rotini with puttanesca sauce (for an easy homemade version, stir and simmer tomato sauce with chopped fresh parsley, black olives, capers, anchovies and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes)
• Include the meatballs with pappardelle pasta tossed with a quick sauce made with chopped marinated artichokes, fresh tomatoes, basil, lemon juice and chicken broth
- 500 grams turkey sausage
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup Romano cheese finely grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried italian seasoning
- 12 small cubes mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, beat egg.
- Mix in Romano cheese, bread crumbs, garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Roll mixture into 12 (2-inch/5 cm) round meatballs.
- Press 1 cube of mozzarella cheese into centre of each, rerolling to cover cheese.
- Place meatballs 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on a rimmed and foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes.
Per Serving: 306 calories, 30 g protein, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 6 g carbs, 0 g fibre, 165 mg cholesterol, 417 mg sodium