Caramelized Pineapple, Balsamic Strawberries & Orange Ice
Very simple to prepare and easily elevated to suit any dinner. The caramelized pineapple, strawberries and balsamic vinegar provide natural sweetness. The addition of the orange ice lends an interesting contrast of flavour and texture.
Created exclusively for besthealthmag.ca
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 thick slices fresh pineapple cores removed
- 12 strawberries hulled and cut in half
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprigs mint
- Warm honey until it is runny. Stir into orange juice and pour into a shallow, flat-bottomed pan – a pie plate works well. Freeze until crystals start to form, 20 to 30 minutes. Using a fork, stir crystals, then place pan back in freezer. Continue stirring every 15 minutes until the ice is frozen, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Place oven rack in top third of oven. Preheat broiler to high. Melt half the butter, then brush over pineapple slices. Place on a baking sheet and broil until soft and edges start to darken, about 10 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter in a small frying pan set over medium-high heat. Add strawberries and sauté for one minute until they start to soften. Remove from heat and stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- To assemble, place caramelized pineapple on plates. Spoon balsamic strawberries over top and drizzle with remaining butter. Top with a generous spoonful of orange ice and garnish with mint. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 126 calories, 1 g protein, 3 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 25 g total carbohydrate, 20 g sugars, 2 g fibre, 3 mg sodium