The Ultimate Berry Detox Smoothie
Berries and beets are a unique combo that make for a tasty smoothie.
Beets, which are rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytochemicals, can’t be beat when it comes to fighting off achy muscles. Studies show that beet juice can reduce the muscle damage caused by heavy exercise. Pair that with tart cherry juice, which can minimize post-exercise muscle pain, and you may experience quicker recovery times between workouts.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen)
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1 cup pure tart cherry juice
- 1/2 cup beet juice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or vanilla flavoured kefir)
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 2 tbsp quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- Combine the following ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth.
Makes 3 servings. Per serving: 140 calories, 4 g protein, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 31 g carbohydrates, 5 g fibre, 2 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium
Tip: No juicer? Fresh or bottled beet juice can be found in some grocery stores or, in a pinch, use peeled and finely grated beets instead. Grapes can be replaced with chopped seedless watermelon, if desired. If tart cherry juice is unavailable, use black cherry or even cranberry juice.