Novice Cook? This Baked Pumpkin Recipe Is Impossible to Mess Up
This easy, delicious and healthy side is a fall-favourite showpiece that always delights.
Photo Credit: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 small pie pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown rice uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup pecans coarsely chopped, toasted
- 3 dried apricots chopped
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom optional
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- Wash pumpkin; cut into 6 wedges. Remove loose fibres and seeds from the inside and discard or save seeds for toasting. Brush wedges with oil. Place onto an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in the pecans, apricots, raisins, salt, curry, cinnamon and, if desired, cardamom.
- Set 4 pumpkin wedges aside for another use. Sprinkle cumin onto remaining wedges; top with rice mixture.
Nutrition facts per 1 piece: 389 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fibre), 7g protein.