Apple Walnut Granita
Serve this frozen dessert as a refreshing course after a heavy dinner.
Recipe courtesy California Walnuts
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup Muscat wine
- 1 cup walnuts toasted and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- In a small saucepan, over medium high heat, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk together apple sauce, lemon juice, wine, cooled syrup, walnuts and ginger. Refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.
- Spoon mixture into a shallow plastic container (metal will cause mixture to turn grey); freeze until almost firm, about 2 hours. Break into chunks and transfer to airtight container and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Transfer to refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.