A Dairy-Free Recipe for a Decadent Dark Chocolate Raspberry Tart
In anticipation of the new Food Network Canada series Wall of Bakers premiering in March 2022, we're highlighting recipes from some of the female judges featured on the show. Here, Toronto-based pastry chef Stephanie Duong (@roselle_to) shares one of her favourite healthy dessert recipes.
This chocolate tart is fruity and decadent—and also raw and vegan, making it perfect for when you want to eat less dairy and refined sugar.
I love it for its versatility—you can easily substitute the fruit in the filling or the nuts in the tart shell for a completely different dessert. Plus, everything can easily be made ahead of time.
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Tart
Raspberry Jam Filling
Yields: 1 cup jam
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- In a small pot, add raspberries and honey.
- Bring mixture up to a boil, mashing the raspberries with a fork. Make sure the honey is dissolved. Turn the heat down and reduce for a few minutes.
- Stir in chia seeds and leave mixture in the fridge to thicken overnight.
Hazelnut Tart Shell
Yields: 4 x 4″ tart shells
- 8 soft Medjool dates
- 1 cup whole skinned hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Process everything in a food processor until a pliable texture is achieved.
- Press into the pans, making sure to apply an even pressure so the bottom and sides are the same thickness.
- Place in the freezer to set.
Yield: 1 cup
- 5 soft Medjool dates
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup raw cocao powder
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- zest of one orange
Soak dates in hot water for 10 minutes and drain. Blitz everything in a food processor until smooth.
Dollop a generous spoonful of the raspberry jam at the bottom of the shell. Top with the truffle filling and garnish with fresh or freeze-dried raspberries and chopped hazelnuts.
Wall of Bakers premieres on Monday, March 28th at 10 p.m. ET/PT.