Snowshoeing in Canada
Snowshoeing is an effective workout and a fun, easy way to get outside and enjoy winter. Find out where to rent snowshoes across the country, plus how to find clubs you can join to meet other snowshoe enthusiasts
Source: Web exclusive: January 2009
Where to rent snowshoes in Canada
If you’re travelling to a popular recreation area, check ahead—you may be able to find equipment rentals nearby. Otherwise, check out these options to try before you buy.
• Mountain Equipment Co-op
With locations in major cities from Victoria to Halifax, MEC is Canada’s go-to source for outdoor gear—and they rent equipment, too. They also offer an online swap where you can find used gear at bargain prices.
• Mount Washington Alpine Resort (Vancouver Island, B.C.)
• Cross Country Connection (Whistler, B.C.)
• Jasper Adventure Centre (Jasper, Alta.)
• Eb’s Source for Adventure (Saskatoon)
• Algonquin Outfitters (Haliburton, Oxtongue Lake and Huntsville, Ont.)
• Pourvoirie du Lac-Beauport (Lac-Beauport, Que.)
• Sea Spray Outdoor Adventures (Cape Breton, N.S.)
Snowshoeing clubs in Canada
Don’t have anyone to snowshoe with, or want to join a larger group of snowshoers and make it a party? Snowshoe magazine has a comprehensive listing of snowshoe clubs across Canada and the U.S., plus tips on how to start your own club.
Did we miss your favourite outfitter? Tell us in the comments and we’ll add it to the listing.
Don’t miss out! Sign up for our free weekly newsletters and get nutritious recipes, healthy weight-loss tips, easy ways to stay in shape and all the health news you need, delivered straight to your inbox.