5 Things You Didn’t Know About Matt & Nat
You know Matt & Nat make gorgeous vegan bags, but we bet you a plate of truffle fries that you don’t know these other Matt & Nat facts.
So you think you know all about Matt & Nat…
You might already know that Matt & Nat is a Canadian fashion staple, especially if you’re big into vegan fashion. While you might know that the brand is based out of Montreal and that the backpack (seen above) is its most popular bag, I learned a few extra things out about this brand.
It all came out when I was seated next to Manny Kohli, the president and CEO of Matt & Nat at Toronto’s hot vegan spot, Planta. He was there to launch a partnership with Indigo. Their most iconic bags were brought back into production in new colours like Storm (the dove grey you see above) and classics like Chili (a tobacco brown). They’re available online and at select Indigo locations. So now that you know that, let’s move on to what you don’t know. Here are five things you need to know about this bag line.
5 Matt & Nat facts
- Matt & Nat is named after “materials and nature,” not after a couple named Matthew and Natalie. And just like the Matt & Nat bags, Kohli has been vegan for 20 years.
- The lining of every bag is made from recycled plastic bottles. In fact, Matt & Nat recycles four million bottles a year for their bags.
- The Matt & Nat line is growing! You’ll soon be able to buy vegan-made candles, jackets (!) and reusable water bottles.
- While offered to create private labels for other retailers, Matt & Nat has refused such partnerships. So if you see a bag that looks like it might be Matt & Nat but has a different logo, it’s actually a knock-off. Kohli says he’s focusing on his own brand first and foremost.
- Since the “leather” material used is vegan and it’s not porous, stains aren’t really a big deal. So if you get a spot, a spritz of Windex will do the trick. Kohli mentioned a customer told him she washed her bag in the washing machine, but he doesn’t advise that.
There you go. I know I feel smarter.