This Recipe for Lemon Posset Calls for Just 3 Ingredients
In anticipation of the new Food Network Canada series Wall of Bakers premiering in March 2022, we're highlighting recipes from some of the female judges featured on the show. Here, Kitchener, Ontario-based baker Lenore Johnson (@lenjobakes) shares one of her go-to dessert recipes.
I love a posset because it literally could not be any simpler: fresh lemons, cream, sugar. Ingredients that are incredibly accessible year-round.
In this recipe, I serve it with roasted strawberries, but you can use any in-season fruit. Serve it on its own, or with a fruit compote, poached fruit, a crumble, a coulis—it’s the perfect accompaniment. Not only that, but the science/magic of watching the cream thicken with the addition of lemon juice is pretty fun too.
Aside from the magical properties, it’s just so good! Refreshing, and light on your palate. It’s the perfect make-ahead dessert for a spring day. Plus, it’s wheat-free and low in sugar.
Lemon Posset with Roasted Strawberries
Yield: ~4 bowls
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 337g heavy cream
- 100g sugar, divided
- Place the zest and lemon juice in a pot with half of the sugar. Bring to a boil. Set aside.
- Heat cream with remaining sugar slowly until it boils.
- Remove from heat, add lemon mixture, and whisk together. Strain half of the mixture (to remove some zest), recombine, and distribute evenly between your ramekins/bowls.
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours until set.
- 1 pint strawberries, washed and sliced in half
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring once.
- Once cool, store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to be used for garnish.
Tip: Macerating and roasting any fruit that hasn’t quite reached its peak is a great way to really pull out those natural sugars and help the fruit shine.
Wall of Bakers premieres on Monday, March 28th at 10 p.m. ET/PT.