This Apple Crisp with Berry Compote Makes a Delicious Healthy Dessert
In anticipation of the new Food Network Canada series Wall of Bakers premiering in March 2022, we're highlighting recipes from some of the female judges featured on the show. Here, Saskatchewan-based baker Tracey Muzzolini shares one of her best healthy dessert recipes.
Here’s a healthy twist on the classic old-fashioned apple crisp, served with honey berry compote and Greek yogurt (a more nutritious substitute for ice cream).
The recipe calls for oats, which are dense with nutrients, high in vitamins and minerals and contain powerful antioxidants, as well as Kamut, which is an ancient grain high in fibre, magnesium, zinc and antioxidant minerals.
Ancient Grain Apple Crisp with Berry Compote with Greek Yogurt
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 cups apples peeled, cored and sliced.
- ½ cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- Juice from ½ of a lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenhight
- In a mixing bowl, add sliced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and lemon juice. Stir to combine and then transfer to a greased baking dish.
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup Kamut flakes (can substitute oats)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a separate bowl add oats, Kamut, flour, brown sugar cinnamon and salt. Mix together.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it browns and pour in mixture. Stir until well coated and crumbly.
- Lightly cover the apples with the crumble mixture, but do not overpack.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries and blueberries, sliced
- Juice from ½ lemon, plus zest
- 1 tbsp honey
- Add sliced strawberries and blueberries to a bowl. Stir in lemon juice, zest and honey with the fruits.
Serve apple crisp with berry compote and Greek yogurt.
Wall of Bakers premieres on Monday, March 28th at 10 p.m. ET/PT.