Best Health meal plan dinners
Seven delicious dinners on our meal plan
Source: Web exclusive: March 2008
Pick one of these options for dinner each day. Each choice totals 400 to 450 calories.
- 1 cup/250 mL Ginger-scented low-salt chicken soup
- Beef and Broccoli Stir-fry—Stir-fry 3 ounces/ 75 g lean beef strips with 1 teaspoon/5 mL sesame oil, ½ teaspoon/2 mL each chopped fresh garlic, ginger, 3 tablespoons/45 mL sliced onions and 1 cup/250 mL broccoli florets. Season with sodium-reduced soy sauce.
- 3/4 cup/175 mL brown rice
- 1 cup/250 mL melon cubes
- Spinach and mushroom salad— 1 cup/250 mL baby spinach, ½ cup/125 mL sliced mushrooms tossed with 1 tablespoon/15 mL each low-fat plain yogurt and light mayonnaise, ½ teaspoon/2 mL grainy mustard and 1 teaspoon/5 mL fresh lemon juice mixed together.
- 4 ounces/100 g pan-fried tilapia —Heat 1 clove garlic, sliced in half, in 2 teaspoons/10 mL extra virgin olive oil; add tilapia and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Add a splash of fresh lemon juice.
- 1 small boiled sweet potato
- Baked cinnamon apple
- 1 cup/250 mL minestrone soup
- 4-ounces/100 g grilled chicken breast
- Mediterranean couscous—3/4 cup/175 mL whole wheat couscous combined with 1 cup/250 mL sliced onions, peppers and zucchini sautéed in 1 teaspoon/5 mL extra virgin olive oil. Season with ground cumin and chopped fresh parsley to taste.
- 1 cup/250 mL tomato and cucumber salad, topped with ½ teaspoon/2mL extra virgin olive oil, splash lemon juice and chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup/250 mL mixed berry fruit salad —Combine both fresh and frozen unsweetened berries with a dash of almond extract.
- Mesclun greens, orange and red onion salad dressing—1 cup/250 mL mesclun greens, 1/2 orange sliced, 1/3 cup sliced red onion tossed with 1 teaspoon/5 mL each extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, season with salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pasta and tomato-chick-pea sauce with 1 tablespoon/15 mL freshly grated Parmesan cheese—Top ¾ cup/175 mL cooked whole grain pasta with 1/3 cup/125 mL pasta sauce cooked with 1/3 cup/75 mL cooked chick peas.
- ½ cup/125 mL grapes
- 1 cup/250 mL vegetable broth garnished with 2 tablespoons/25 mL chopped green onions
- 3 ounces/85 g grilled tofu —Brush firm tofu with sodium-reduced soy sauce and grill until golden; turn over and repeat.
- ¾ cup/175mL rice noodles tossed with 1 cup/250 mL steamed snow peas, garnished with 1 teaspoon/5 mL toasted sesame seeds
- Orange fig and apricot fruit compote — Simmer together 1 diced dried fig and 2 apricots in ¼ cup/50 mL unsweetened orange juice.
- 4 ounces/100 g skinless lemon-herb roast chicken
- Barley pilaf—3/4 cup/175 mL cooked barley combined with ½ cup/125 mL sliced mushrooms, 2 tablespoons/25 mL chopped onions and 1 teaspoon/5 mL extra virgin olive oil and baked together.
- 1 cup/250 mL steamed green beans
- Citrus salad — Mix together 1 cup/250 mL grapefruit, orange and tangerine sections and top with chopped fresh mint.
- 3 ounces/75 g grilled salmon— Brush with ½ teaspoon/2 mL olive oil and 1 teaspoon/5 mL balsamic vinegar.
- Quinoa vegetable salad—Combine ¾ cup/175 mL cooked quinoa, ¼ cup/50 mL each diced cucumbers, celery and 2 tablespoons/25 mL onion with 1 tablespoon/15 mL fat-reduced oil and vinegar dressing and refrigerate.
- 1 cup/250 mL steamed asparagus garnished with chopped parsley
- ½ cup/125 mL fresh pineapple slices
Found this article informative? Subscribe to our magazine today and receive more Best Health exclusives delivered to your door!