6 healthier salty snack ideas
You don’t have to overload on sodium to satisfy a salt craving. Instead, try one of these healthier salty snack ideas
Pass up the french fries, instant soup and pepperettes. Try these smarter picks when you’re jonesing for some salt’and remember, a little goes a long way when you’re watching sodium.
1. Cheesy kale chips: Tear kale leaves into large pieces and arrange on a baking sheet. Spritz with olive oil and bake in a 350°F oven until crisp. While still warm, sprinkle with a little grated Parmesan.
2. A few tamari-seasoned rice crackers are a salt lover’s best choice for scooping up tuna salad. Punch it up with a squeeze of chili sauce!
3. Drain canned artichoke hearts and sprinkle with lemon zest, capers, chopped fresh basil and olive oil. Enjoy them while imagining you’re on a trip to the Mediterranean.
4. Five-spice pumpkin seeds: Toss salted pumpkin seeds with sesame oil and Chinese five-spice powder; bake at 350°F until they’re crisp.
5. Buffalo popcorn: Toss air-popped popcorn with olive oil, a little hot sauce or chili powder, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
6. Whole-wheat pretzels are always delicious, but they’re flat-out irresistible when slathered with spicy mustard (there are very few calories in mustard).