5 Tips for a Fit Mind
If your memory isn’t what it used to be, try these tips to improve your recall and sharpen your mind
1. Struggling to remember a detail or date? Don’t spin your wheels: look up the answer. Reminding yourself of the correct response will help you hang on to information.
2. Studies show working in 25- to 30-minute bursts followed by a five-minute break boosts productivity by eliminating constant distractions.
3. An effective way to learn something is to teach it to someone else. Translating the material into your own words helps new knowledge take root.
4. Devise a quiz after reading a chapter or hearing a lecture. Testing yourself strengthens neural pathways and produces better retrieval routes for remembering.
5. Cramming is a short-term fix. To improve long-term recall, wait two or three days between study sessions ‘ a trick cognitive researchers call the "spacing effect."